You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this forum...

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
Linux Advantages
01-06-2010, 05:13 AM
Linux Advantages
Hi all.
I have started using Linux for one month.
I like it and want to discuss some of the advantages.
Linux Advantages
Low cost: You don’t need to spend time and money to obtain licenses since Linux and much of its software come with the GNU General Public License. You can start to work immediately without worrying that your software may stop working anytime because the free trial version expires. Additionally, there are large repositories from which you can freely download high quality software for almost any task you can think of.
Stability: Linux doesn’t need to be rebooted periodically to maintain performance levels. It doesn’t freeze up or slow down over time due to memory leaks and such. Continuous up-times of hundreds of days (up to a year or more) are not uncommon.
Performance: Linux provides persistent high performance on workstations and on networks. It can handle unusually large numbers of users simultaneously, and can make old computers sufficiently responsive to be useful again.
Network friendliness: Linux was developed by a group of programmers over the Internet and has therefore strong support for network functionality; client and server systems can be easily set up on any computer running Linux. It can perform tasks such as network backups faster and more reliably than alternative systems.
Flexibility: Linux can be used for high performance server applications, desktop applications, and embedded systems. You can save disk space by only installing the components needed for a particular use. You can restrict the use of specific computers by installing for example only selected office applications instead of the whole suite.
Compatibility: It runs all common Unix software packages and can process all common file formats.
Choice: The large number of Linux distributions gives you a choice. Each distribution is developed and supported by a different organization. You can pick the one you like best; the core functionalities are the same; most software runs on most distributions.
Fast and easy installation: Most Linux distributions come with user-friendly installation and setup programs. Popular Linux distributions come with tools that make installation of additional software very user friendly as well.

china green tea[/align]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2010, 12:59 PM
RE: Linux Advantages
I have played around with Linux a few times , for example the Ubuntu / Fedora / Mint .
Low Cost: Agreed
Stability: Double agreed
Performance: They can take advantage of lower end hardware and make it run fine, although there is plenty of compatibility issue with a lot of hardware and linux, with little to no driver support.
Network friendliness: Agreed
Flexibility: Double Agreed
Compatibility: Runs linux things great, however many Windows / Apple application won't run properly or at all
Choice:Agreed

Great post keep it up, this kind of information is great for everyone ! Thanks
01-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Awesome post! By the way, which distibution of linux are you using? Also, did you have any problems with the setup or device drivers, anything like that? Making a note of that could help others that would like to try it out but run into a similar problem.

[Image: NightSig.JPG]
10-11-2010, 08:28 AM
Hi,
I like linux because of its security. Linux is and has always been a very secure operating system. Although it still can be attacked when compared to Windows, it much more secure.
I like its open source software concept specially for source code. Many of the Linux variants and many Linux programs are open source and enable users to customize or modify the code however they wish to. Only problem is the support. Although it may be more difficult to find users familiar with all Linux variants, there are vast amounts of available online documentation and help, available books, and support available for Linux.
02-05-2011, 12:21 AM
Linux has the advantage that the code in the public domain. This can be a double-edged sword, as you can see the code, and programmers can fix the holes, it also means hackers can find the bad code. I was very impressed with the security of Linux and the programs that run on it.
07-28-2011, 01:03 PM
LiNUX is really best operating system
but I am nit using Linux because it is some difficult to operate as compared to windows....
03-16-2012, 12:00 PM
Linux is definitely a double edged sword. It also depends on which distro you are using of Linux. They have the more regular people friendly Ubuntu or the more technically savy Fedora or other command line based OS by Linux.

This is why Windows is more popular, as the masses can enjoy an OS without any technical (or very little) know-how.

TotalPortal.ca Admin

[Image: RetailAssocSig_Large.png]
[Image: johnnyblazesig1.jpg]
03-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Mandriva Linux is also easy to use. I feel that Windows was only created to play games on it. Linux is good for the older folks that just want a computer with a stable operating system and without having to worry about viruses...
03-19-2012, 09:34 AM
I dont think so it have advantage of any kind
i m not using it
03-20-2012, 12:42 AM
Knoppix is an excellent live distro. that you can run off a USB thumb drive...it load very fast than most live distro. that I have tried.

cheerio